How do I file a civil lawsuit with the General Sessions Court and what is the process?
  1. The Clerk's office provides the necessary preprinted forms.
  2. The form is completed with needed information, such as: the defendant's name and address to obtain personal service on the defendant(s), and state a cause of action.
  3. The summons must sufficiently state the causes of action so as to give the defendant notice of the charge he is to meet and enable him to prepare a defense.
  4. The filing fees are paid to the clerk's office.
  5. The clerk's office forwards the summons to the requested server to allow for the attempt of service to be made on the defendant(s).
  6. The server will set a court date upon successful attempt of service. The server shall return the process back to the clerk's office.
  7. A hearing will be held before a General Sessions Court Judge to render a decision in the matter.
  8. Judgment entries are final ten days from the date of entry.
  9. Collection procedures may commence after this period of time.

Please Note: The 24 Hour Clerk's Office, located at 201 Poplar Suite LL-126, is available to file civil lawsuits, after the Civil Division main office is closed.

Show All Answers

1. Where is the Civil Division of General Sessions Court Clerk's Office located?
2. Is the East Office able to assist with any court transactions like the downtown office?
3. When making a judgment payment or garnishment payment to the Civil Division where do I send it?
4. What are the Civil Division office hours?
5. What is the Civil Division's phone number and Fax number?
6. What are the court costs associated with the filing of a civil lawsuit?
7. If the Sheriff's Department is trying to serve court papers on me, where can I pick them up?
8. How do I file a civil lawsuit with the General Sessions Court and what is the process?
9. How do I file an F.E.D. (Forcible Entry and Detainer) action to remove someone from the premises not paying their rent?
10. What time does civil court convene?
11. Am I required to have an attorney in the General Sessions Court?
12. How do I appeal a case to the Circuit Court?
13. How do I collect my judgment?
14. When may I receive funds from the Clerk's Office?
15. How do I stop the garnishment on my wages?
16. What is a "Motion to Quash"?
17. What if the defendant does not comply with the agreed Installment payment arrangement?
18. What is the cost to get a release on a garnishment?
19. How can I clear up my credit report with the credit bureau?
20. Why does the General Sessions Court Clerk's Office assign Attorney Code numbers and what are they used for?
21. How can I obtain detailed specific case information from the General Sessions Court Clerk's Office regarding a specific case?